Thursday, May 10, 2007

MORE WRITERS THAN READERS


I want to explain the title. What I discover constantly is that we really don't read. When I say, "we," I mean most people and what a shame. Reading is inexpensive entertainment. I read several books a week, pat, pat, pat--have just finished one called Three Cups of Tea, before that, Infidel, and am working on one called The Sticking Point; this is just to give you an idea. But, most people don't read. And, this isn't a hit on them. Just a fact. We could put all sort of stuff on it but with my company's recently published book, Gun Totin' Chaplain, I decided to asked those who had a copy, mostly as gifts, did you read it? "Oh no, working on it, etc.; read a little." I jokingly say, "you're like most, don't read."

Something else I read, most all the writing magazines, Writer's Digest, been subscribing forever. Also, from time to time, one called The Writer and then a trade magazine called, The Independent. So, writing is not a casual subject to me.

Another thing that we don't talk about enough is how uneven the playing field is for writers: Paris Hilton will go to jail for a few days. Come out, write a book about it and suddenly it's on the best seller list, whatever that is. She will make some book signing appearances and the lines will be out the door. Most of us who finally get the elusive book out can't beat people to a signing. America is a celebrity worshipping culture and we might as well admit it and if we ain't Madonna writing a bool on raising children, forget it. OK, thats it for now but will be back.

No comments: