Thursday, May 31, 2007

A LAMENT

This is too sad to let go by. Anyone who has ever been in a remainders book warehouse gets the same feeling. Despair. I often think even when I go in any bookstore: "who is writing all these books and miraculously getting them published." And the titles, Sex Life of the Tsetse Fly, etc.

If I have ever thought more writers than readers, it is when I read about this poor used book store owner, striking a symbolic blow. He is burning his books, something like 20,000 and billing it as "the funeral pyre for thought in America today."

Well, I don't know about that but any guy who labors over titles as diverse as Tom Clancy's Hunt for Red October or Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities to the Fourth Pan Amerian Conference in Buenos Aires in 1910, has to love/adore/worship books and this makes his desperate act very sad. He says he's burning the books to protest society's diminishing support for the printed word. DUD! God bless him.

No comments: